This cabin originally stood on property in the Gabriel
Mills area owned by Samuel Mather, a miller and blacksmith. Built in the
early 1850's from squared logs and hand-hewn limestone, it housed
church, school and Masonic Lodge meetings before it became a dwelling.
Emile Jamail, then owner of the property, donated it to the City of
Georgetown in 1975. As a community project to celebrate the
Bicentennial, it was moved there and restored. By 2004, the cabin was
deteriorating rapidly, and lack of City funding prompted a decision to
demolish it. In keeping with its objective to save County heritage, the
Old Settlers Association assumed the task of moving and restoring the
cabin as closely to its original condition as possible. Samuel Mather
(1812-78) served as postmaster (1858-63) and Worshipful Master of Mount
Horeb Lodge No. 137 at Gabriel Mills. He was father of the noted Indian
fighter, Andrew Mather (1851-1929.