Historic Homes
Contact Information


Historic Churches of Georgetown Texas

circa 1882/1883

Grace Heritage Church

see big picture

see history plaque


circa 1872
click on photo for an enlarged view

First Presbyterian Church,
1872 / 1910
703 Church St

This is the oldest standing religious building in Georgetown. The same bell purchased in 1877 for $69.15 continues to summon the congregation to worship. Shortly after the turn of the century, original square windows were altered to pointed arch openings in the Gothic Revival style, stained glass windows were installed and the steeple was constructed. Notice the "quoins" at the corners of the scored, stucco-veneered facade.

click here for view of plaque

Marker Text
The Rev. William Mumford Baker presided over this congregation's organization in 1854 at the Round Rock home of Richard and Mary Agnes (Cooper) Sansom. By 1856, the church was meeting in Georgetown, where C.A.D. Clamp deeded a site (at 4th and Myrtle streets) for a sanctuary and one of the town's first schools. In 1866, following the Civil War, the membership split into separate Northern and Southern congregations. The division continued into the 1890s, when the Northern church disbanded and sold the present building to the Southern congregation. Georgetown Presbyterians have met in this building since 1873. The Northern and Southern denominations reunited in 1983 as Presbyterian Church (USA). (2004)


circa 1904

508 West 4th Street
Wesley Chapel A.M.E Church
see big picture
see history plaque

circa 1891-93

410 East University Ave.
First Methodist Church
see big picture
see corner view
see history plaque

see history plaque # 2

First United Methodist Church -
Historical Marker

Organized in 1897; served by circuit riders until 1880, when first building was erected. The Rev. H. A. Boaz, later bishop, preached here at opening of his career. Present church was built during 1891-92, of native limestone, hand-cut at this site. Robert S. Hyer, Southwestern University physics professor, was both architect and supervisor. Floor plan is that of the Greek cross. Former ministers include brothers A. Frank and W. Angie Smith, both later bishops. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970

circa 1905-96
301 East University Ave.
St. John's Methodist Church

view web page


circa 1881

1314 East University Ave.

Grace Episcopal Church
see big picture


horizontal rule

Home | Archive | Buildings | Churches | Historic Homes | History | People | Places | Links | Search | Contact Information

For problems or questions regarding this web site contact