Home
Archive
Buildings
Churches
Historic Homes
History
People
Places
Links
Search
Contact Information

 

Historical Places - Historical Markers and Landmarks
also view other landmarks

GEORGETOWN, TEXAS est. 1848

Population: 36,462 (2004)

 

View of the city from Austin Street and 11th Street, 1886. The water tower was used by the local fire department and the fourth county courthouse is visible on the horizon. Georgetown, the county seat for Williamson County. Many businesses, Southwestern University, and the railroad have contributed to Georgetown’s growth. Georgetown was home to Jessie Daniel Ames, state president of the League of Women Voters and anti-lynching advocate.

 

Courtesy of Georgetown Heritage Society

 

also view The Texas Historical Commission write up on -
Georgetown History
Belford Historic District in Georgetown Texas
University Avenue - Elm Street Historic District
Williamson County Courthouse Historic District

 

horizontal rule


 


Photographic policies prohibit reproduction - please contact the Williamson museum for reproduction rights Please view the PHOTOGRAPHIC POLICIES AND PROCEDURES. Your interests and the preservation of the materials will be assured by the observance of these policies and procedures.  To inquire about the use or purchase of any of these photographs please contact the museum at 512-943-1670 or use the photo order form. Photo Request Form


 

horizontal rule

 

 

View Videos on Georgetown

A special thanks to the Georgetown Heritage Society
for letting us use these videos


Video 1 (“Legacy of Wood & Stone)
Video 2 (“On the Square')

 

 

 

also view The Texas Historical Commission write ups on –
Georgetown History
Belford Historic District in Georgetown Texas
University Avenue - Elm Street Historic District
Williamson County Courthouse Historic District

 

 

 

The city of Georgetown is named after
 

A story relayed to historians - Washington Anderson, tells of Georgetown’s beginnings. Anderson and the four other men assigned the task of locating a county seat were enjoying a brief respite under a large oak tree, when Anderson’s cousin and prodigious landowner, George Washington Glasscock, Sr., (view photo) rode up on his mule. Sensing a quick solution to their task, Anderson spoke up, “George, if you’ll give us all the land between here and the San Gabriel River, we’ll make this the county seat and name the town after you.” His cousin agreed, promptly donating 173 acres, with his partner Thomas B. Huling. Georgetown Texas is the county seat of Williamson County which was formed on March the 13th in the year of 1848. After the early settlers petitioned the State Legislature to create it out of Milam County. But for Three-Legged Willie the county could have been named "San Gabriel" county. It was finally named after Robert M. Williamson aka Three-Legged Willie a Texas statesmen and judge at the time.

 

 

horizontal rule

click on thumbnail images for an enlarged view

   


Georgetown
Square


image 9094

Public Square,
Georgetown, Texas

 


image 3005

Star Grocery Store, north side of square, Georgetown, Texas ca. 1920's - Owners Joe Munson and Tom Lundblad, behind counter


image 3018

Central
Barber Shop


image 1024

Richard E. Talbot, born in Cambrigde, NY, 17 June 1816, of Irish immigrant parents. He came to Texas with his wife and children in 1850's to join brothers Elias and Joseph Talbot. Richard
 


image 1059

Kimbro and Friends in Front of Blacksmith Shop. Georgetown, Texas ca 1890's

 


image 1001

The 5th and last Williamson County Courthouse was built in 1910-1911 at
a cost of $120,000. Renovations were done in 1965 that changed much of the appearance.

 


image 1139

Knight's Spring &
Gant's Mill Photos


image 1059

Kimbro and Friends in Front of Blacksmith Shop. Georgetown, Texas ca 1890's

 


image 2033

Georgetown Fire Dept. & R.O. "Bob" Davis, who later became Fire Chief, 2nd from left in truck.

 

 


image 1195
Adm. Mann Portrait
 

 


image 2002

Georgetown fireman including Lonnie Watkins, in about 1919. l-r: Mr Mood, George Klohey, Jeff Gordan, driver R.D. Bole Davis [Firechief], Pat Goodlet, Sid Peerl [standing], M. Wilcox. Mr. Davis and his wife lived upstairs with a sliding pole in their apartment.
 



Marshall Carver High
School Plaque


image 1149

Berry's Mill, built 1848, NE of Georgetown, Texas

 

 


image 2099A

Baby Shower for Lenen Howland, who is expecting Lu Ann Howland, ca. Jan.
1953
 

 


image 3027

Leo Darby with delivery Model T while working for San Antonio Light
Newspaper, ca. 1932


image 1187

J.W. Fielder Family, ca 1888, standing: Laura-daughter, Martha Jane Townsley-sister in law, Susan Alice-wife, front Ollie, Earl, J.W. Fielder,
Claude, Walter, and Collier. J.W Fielder, in 1873, married Susan Alice Townsey. Listed in 1880 Williamson County Census. 1885-bought 150 acres on San Gabriel River about 5 miles SE of Georgetown.
 


image 4007

Williamson County Livestock Show, Victor Kokel buys Carl Holmstom's Blue Ribbon Lamb, ca.1965. Victor Kokel was President of the Williamson County
Farm Bureau
 


image 5001

The original St. Johns United Methodist Church and cemetery of Georgetown in 1900. The congregation moved to 311 E. University Ave in Georgetown


image 5074

St. John's Swedish Methodist Church's nine early preachers, Georgetown, Texas


image 8024

Andrew Prikryl & Mary Zrubek's Wedding Photo. Ceremony was at Courthouse, Georgetown, Texas, March 6, 1886


image 8317

Anna Louise Trowbridge Talbot, wife of R.E. Talbot, lived between Circlleville and Jonah, Texas. Came to the area in 1853. Brother of Joseph Talbot of Taylor, Texas and brother of Elias Talbot, merchant in Georgetown, Texas. Was friend of Sam Houston, ca.1854
 


image 9031
Bell Cotton Gin, located SE of Georgetown


image 6017
Football Team

 


image 9074

L.N. "Lonnie" Watkins "Nook Confectionery", South Side of Square, next to Burkhart's Newstand, Georgetown, Texas, ca. 1920.


image 6013
Football Team, Carver High School, Georgetown, Texas, ca. 1962

 


image 9088

Karen Thompson at Harper-Chessher House


image 6026
1963 Graduation Georgetown School of Vocational Nursing, ca. 1963, Georgetown, Texas, l-r: Dr. Douglas Benold, Sipirina Richate, Katherine Kelley, Dr. James Shepard, Jovita Richarte, Dr. H.R. Gady, Jr.
 

 

horizontal rule

Georgetown Light and Water Works
circa 1911

403 W. 9th
LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER

 

horizontal rule


 
 

Historical Makers And Cemeteries Of Georgetown

 

 

Amos (M.C.)-Godey House

C.B Atkinson House

C.C. and Hughes Cody House
Courthouse - Williamson County

Burcham (W. J.)

Dalrymple, William Cornelius

David Love Store

Double File Trail

Easley Home

Emzy Taylor

Evangelical Free Church Historical Marker

First Presbyterian Church

First United Methodist Church

Farmers State Bank Building

George Washington Glasscock, Sr

Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall

Georgetown, Founding of

Georgetown High School Building

Greenleaf Fisk Judge

Harper - Chessher House

Harry M. Grave - Judge

H.C. Craig Building

H.W. Harrell-Stone House

Inner Space Cavern (Laubach Cave)

Jesse Cooper House

Jessie Daniel Ames

John Berry, Frontiersman

John J. Dimmitt House

John Edward Hickman

John McQueen Taylor

Lane Riley House

Lesesne-Stone Building

Location of Georgetown

Lockett M.B. Building

Macedonia Baptist Church

Mankins Crossing

Marshall-Carver High School site of

Marsh F. Smith House

Negro Fine Arts School

North Fork of the San Gabriel River

Old Dimmitt Building

Old Georgetown Cemetery

Page-Decrow-Weir House

Pennington Family Cemetery Marker

Railroad Produce Warehouse

Robert J Rivers

Rocky Hollow - Little Arkansas Bullion

San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A. F. & A.

San Gabriel Park

Sansom, Cooper, House

Shafer Saddlery

Sillure, A.W. House

Southwestern University main bldg

Southwestern University mall

Southwestern University - Original Site

Steele Store - Makemson Hotel Building

St. John's Cemetery

St. John's Methodist Church

Taylor, John McQueen

Texan Santa Fe Expedition

Union Hill Cemetery

Vaden, W.C. House

W. J. Burcham House

Wesley Chapel A.M.E Church

Wilcox Graves House
Williamson County Courthouse

Williamson County jail

Williamson County Sun

Woman's Club Of Georgetown

Xi Chapter Kappa Alpha

W Y Penn Home

 

horizontal rule


 
 

Cemeteries

Barnes Cemetery
Berry's Creek

Citizens Memorial Garden

Collins-Thopson, Old Collins
Connell Family
Evangelical Free
Georgetown IOOF
Georgetown Memorial

Georgetown, Old and Old Black

George S.C. Harper Family
Green Family

Guadalupe also known as Georgetown Catholic
Harper Price Cemetery

Jenkins
Lord also Fischer Lord or Fish

Millard, Millary-Salyer Cemetery

Our Lady of the Rosary
Pennington Family

Patrick Cemetery
Presbyterian
Rocky Hollow - Little Arkansas Bullion

Sedwick
St. John's
Union Hill
Whiteley
Williamson County Pauper
also known as Pauper Poor Farm, Middleton

 

 


 

here's a MP3 audio file (oral history) on the Old Georgetown Cemetery
by one of Georgetown's own; JC Johnson
he is one of Georgetown's historians

 

 

 

 


 

also view  Williamson County Historical Markers

 

horizontal rule

 

  also view The Texas Historical Commission write ups on –
Georgetown History
Belford Historic District in Georgetown Texas
University Avenue - Elm Street Historic District
Williamson County Courthouse Historic District
 
 

 

 

 

horizontal rule

 

Recuerdos Mexicanos
A History of Hispanic Culture in Georgetown, Texas

 

horizontal rule

 

 

Links for more history and images
of older homes and buildings

 

Georgetown History
Historical Thumbnail Stories
http://www.georgetown-texas.org/places.htm
Georgetown Heritage Society
Main Street Georgetown
http://www.visitgeorgetown.com
Georgetown's Blue Hole on the San Gabriel river
Georgetown Texas Old Fire Station
Georgetown, Texas
by The Handbook of Texas Online

 


 

 

 

view other communities pages

 
   

horizontal rule

Home | Archive | Buildings | Churches | Historic Homes | History | People | Places | Links | Search | Contact Information

For problems or questions regarding this web site contact
Wayne@georgetown-texas.org